RSS

Thursday, April 4, 2013

This and that

What else can I say about our trip?  It was good, in spite of some bad weather, and in spite of sitting many hours in the van and becoming extremely exhausted.  Darold and Cathy did so much to make us comfortable and to make sure we were having a good time.  Their hospitality was outstanding!

I really enjoyed touring The Hermitage, President Andrew Jackson's home.  Even though I used to be a teacher, I never really knew much about him, but he was quite an interesting character, quite controversial.  I did not know that he started the Democratic Party, and that it was started to get rid of slavery.  That was interesting to me. 

Another day we toured a "plantation", except it was not what we had imagined it to be.  It was a home that was involved in the Battle of Franklin during the Civil War; some of the buildings still have bullet holes in them.  Our tour guide was very knowledgeable and his stories were very interesting.  There was quite a lot of walking involved, so I had to sit out part of the tour.

And another time we went to an antique mall -- it was huge!!  Fortunately I had my electric wheelchair with me so I could prowl through the whole store -- but didn't buy anything. 

We ate at some great restaurants, at one we had the best clam chowder I have ever had.  On Easter Sunday we went to a place called The Pineapple Room for a wonderful buffet.  We had been in church that morning with Darold and Cathy and then headed out for the brunch.  It rained much of that day so we didn't do any special sightseeing that day, except driving through some neighborhoods where there were really big houses. 

We started for home Monday morning, made it back to Freeman to drop off Goldie Tuesday evening, and then we got home Wednesday afternoon.  Almost 4000 miles and 13+ days....I'm not sure I'll attempt another road trip, this one really exhausted me.

But it was good!

No comments:

Post a Comment