RSS

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Good news, bad news

First the good news:  the Black Forest did not grow yesterday.  It was a day of cooler weather, calmer winds and even a few sprinkles of rain.

Bad news:  The Black Forest has completely destroyed 479 homes, and there are quite a few homes that have not yet been reached to be inspected.  Two people died; they were in their garage, loading their valuables into their car - but it was too late.  The fire moved so rapidly that they didn't have a chance to escape. 

Many people have beautiful homes in the forests and the mountains in spite of the fact that the fire risk is so great - and many of the wildfires are started by lightning.

They are still not sure that the Black Forest fire was started by lightning, and since two people were killed, it is now actually a homicide investigation.  The authorities are very skilled in tracing a fire to its begining point and then finding the clues that will answer all the questions. 

The fire at the Royal Gorge is pretty much under control but there has been a lot of damage to the Royal Gorge Park.  The bridge is damaged, many of the buildings are destroyed, the cables that carried the tram across the gorge broke from the heat of the fire.  This park is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Colorado, so this is very sad, but in my mind it's not as sad at the loss of life and the loss of 479 homes.

So I had my MRI yesterday; I was afraid I would feel claustrophobic being in that narrow tube for 45 minutes, but it really wasn't that bad.  Maybe that was because of the pill they gave me beforehand.  I hope the report will be that something can be fixed.  I consider it a great blessing to have good insurance (because I retired from my job with good benefits) and good doctors, and a husband who takes care of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment