RSS

Sunday, December 2, 2012

A beautiful day - but where's the snow?

It is unbelievably warm today, as it has been the last week or so.  But we need snow!  We are desparately in need of moisture because of the drought, but also -- I need snow to put me in the mood for Christmas!  I could never live in a place that has a hot climate all year - I NEED SNOW!

It's been a busy time for me.  Yesterday afternoon I was invited to a ladies Christmas tea at my friend Phyllis's church; there were lots of goodies to enjoy, good music, and a very good speaker.  Before I went to the church, I stopped at Kohls to do some shopping -- BIG MISTAKE!  Now I remember why I have a rule to never go shopping on weekends!!!  It was a madhouse!  I stayed in the store just long enough to determine that I didn't want to be there.

This morning we went to the church we formerly attended; I still publish the newsletter for the Deaf ministry in that church, and they had asked me to attend today so they could present me with a gift.  It was good to see a lot of my friends again, and I enjoyed the Deaf worship service.  They "sang" several Christmas songs - using their hands of course.  One of the interpreters "sang" the song "Mary did you know" with her hands, while the CD was played for those of us who could hear.  The special speaker was from North Carolina and spoke about when Jesus healed the paralyzed man whose friends let him down through the roof.  The speaker wore a robe such as they wore in Bible times, and had several masks:  one mask when he was speaking in Jesus' voice, another mask when he was speaking as one of the friends, and another mask when he was speaking as a Pharisee.  It was a very good presentation and had everyone's rapt attention.  There were interpreters who interpreted the sign language for those of us who didn't know American Sign Language. 

As a thank you gift, they gave me a lovely glass box and on the lid was the sign for love.  It is so very pretty.  I was trying to remember how long I've published their newsletter, I think it must be about six years already. 

Then we met some friends for lunch at the Village Inn, after which came nap time.  In my spare time I'm sewing doll clothes for my granddaughter who will be getting a new doll for Christmas.  It's so much fun sewing these outfits, except for when I have to thread the needle - my eyes really have a problem seeing that tiny hole in the needle!

Tomorrow morning - a fun time at our Christmas party with the ladies of the once-a-month Bible study; ladies I have known for many years.  We all bring food, and we each bring a wrapped gift; the gifts are distributed during a game in which we can either keep the gift we have or exchange it with a gift someone else has.  It's always fun.  After that I'll stop in at the nursing home to visit my friend Evie.  I have to confess that it's not easy for me to go to the nursing home and see so many elderly people in such situations, but I haven't been to see her for a long time and I'm feeling guilty about it.  When I'm there, I always wonder if some day I'll be a patient in a place like that. 

And now - time to relax with a cup of tea....

No comments:

Post a Comment