RSS

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The unpleasantness of country life

Generally, living in the country has many advantages, but there is one big disadvantage.

People seem to think it's OK to dump their pet dogs or cats at the end of our driveway, thinking they will find a good home.

It happened about twelve years ago when a very hungry cat found us; she has lived with us ever since and has earned her keep by catching mice, rabbits and unfortunately - also birds.

Another time someone dropped off a Great Dane puppy - and we saw him do it, but we couldn't stop him.  We didn't keep that dog.

This past Sunday a cat appeared at our door.  He was all gray, and very obviously used to humans.  He really wanted to come in the house, but I didn't want that, one cat is enough, thank you!  He is very playful and friendly, but since I didn't want another cat, I decided not to feed him so that he would wander on to someone else's yard.  It didn't work.  He liked it here.  I cannot stand to see animals starving or suffering, so I started feeding him.  Now the problem is what to do with him!  I've contacted a cat rescue organization, and they'll let me know by Thursday if they have space for another cat.  If they don't -- I'll cross that bridge when I get to it!

In the meantime - I'll just keep feeding him, unless he decides to bless someone else with his presence!

No comments:

Post a Comment