RSS

Saturday, November 21, 2015

Saturday's thoughts

I recently celebrated my 80th birthday, here is a "selfie" I took that day:

 
 
I won't tell how many tries it took to get a good picture!  Yes, I am still a natural blonde......when I was very young, my hair was almost white - especially in summer when I played outside all the time.  I expected to be gray-haired by now, but I'm not complaining! 
 
I was a little unsure how I'd feel about this birthday, because everyone else who is 80 is "old"...... and I don't like to think of myself that way, mainly because it means I probably have no more than twenty years of life left.  I know I'm going to heaven some day and that will be wonderful -- no more arthritis!!!  But I don't want to leave my dear ones....
 
But the birthday was great - there were several celebrations and I felt lots of love from family and friends.  God has been very good to me in these so-called golden years.
 
My two special grandchildren whom I'm going to call Frick and Frack from now on for privacy's sake were recently baptized.  It was a private service, just for family, and it was done in a more meaningful way than many other baptisms that I have witnessed.  The pastor talked about how God had this special plan for both of them to bring them from far away and place them in our family, and also has a plan for the rest of their lives, and they need to ask for God's guidance as they go on in life.
It brought tears to my eyes....
 
This picture was taken in front of the church after the service.  No, we're not all the same height - we're all just standing on different steps.  I love these two so very much!
 
 
 
Once again we are in a presidential campaign and mud is slinging all around.  I have a really hard time with some of the candidates who claim to be such strong Christians, and yet they are taking a strong stand against letting the Syrian refugees enter our country, as well as sounding off against all Muslims.  Do they ask themselves "What would Jesus do?"  I don't think so.  Many of these refugees are women whose husbands have been killed, women who have not had opportunities to have an education and learn a skill, and now they are alone with their children fleeing their homes with nothing but what they can carry.  I realize the risk of a terrorist being able to infiltrate the refugees, but there are ways to only admit the ones who are genuinely in need of help.  What would Jesus do?  What if I was one of those refugees, fleeing with my young child, or my young grandchildren -- where would I find food and shelter?  Who would help me?
 
There is one presidential candidate (I won't mention his name) who is not only completely unqualified, but he's also a bully and totally without tact or polish.  And because he says things that are so politically incorrect - people are crazy about him.  Do these people not think for themselves?  The things he promises to do are not possible for a president to do.  I don't think he understands at all how government works.  When I was a teacher, I taught Civics and about the three branches of government and the powers of each branch and the reasons for those powers.  This candidate thinks he would be king - or dictator.  I don't think our country would survive if he would win the election.  He reminds me very much of Hitler....and that is scary. 
 
So - enough for today.  Thanks for listening.


No comments:

Post a Comment