RSS

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Night

As I'm watching the election results coming in, I'm reflecting on what a privilege it is to be able to vote.  My forefathers came to the United States from Russia in 1874 with practically nothing, except a strong faith in God and a willingness to work hard. My maternal grandparents were only eight and nine years old when they arrived here, and went through unbelievable hardships as they homesteaded and raised a family of nine children -- all who grew up to be Godly, honest and hardworking adults.  It is a heritage for which I am very thankful.

It is 9:15, and it's just been announced that President Obama has gotten more than the 270 electoral votes and he will president for another four years.  Thank you Lord!  There are still several states whose votes have not yet been counted, but are projected to go for Obama. 

Is it too much to hope that the Republican controlled House of Representatives will work with him instead of against him as they've been doing the last four years?

Some other contests are interesting too.  Elizabeth Warren won the Senate seat in Masssachusetts, and I'm happy for that because I really admire her. 

In Indiana - the Republican candidate for the Senate is the man who said that if a woman gets pregnant as a result of rape, well that's just God's will - he has lost the race.

And in Missouri, the Republican candidate for the Senate who said that a woman can't get pregnant as a result of rape -- he also lost the race. 

Another interesting note is that Massachusetts - the state where Romney was governor, has gone for Obama.  And Wisconsin - the home state of the Republican candidate for Vice President, Paul Ryan, has also gone for Obama. 

I'm looking forward to hearing Romney's concession speech and Obama's acceptance speech.  I firmly believe in the verse found in the book of Daniel that says that it is God who puts men in power and it's God who deposes them.  Had Romney won, I had determined that I would continue to believe this verse, even though it might not have made me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment