RSS

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Giving credit where credit is due

That's what I'm going to do in today's post.

I've been criticizing the Republican party quite a bit lately, but today I want to complement two Republican governors, who don't let politics get in the way of what they believe.

First of all:  Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey.  After Hurricane Sandy tore his state apart, President Obama came to meet with him and offer him all the resources of the Federal government.  And Gov. Christie thanked the President, and praised him for his quick response and his generous promise of assistance. 

And then -- other Republicans criticized Gov. Christie for saying nice things about the President.  But Gov. Christie stood his ground - it wasn't a matter of politics to him.  Way to go!

Second:  Gov. Bobby Jindahl of Louisiana.  During the prseidential campaign and after the election, a lot of really dumb things have been said - sometimes things about President Obama that are entirely untrue, many times very unkind and disrespectful.  In the days since the election results, Gov. Jindahl has said several times "our party has to stop saying such dumb things".  He is honestly looking for ways to help his party win, rather than demonizing the party and the candidate who won.

An example:  yesterday as I was driving doing some errands I was listening to one of my favorite programs on the radio, and during the commercial break, a conservative "talking head" came on and blamed Obama for the adultery scandal involving one of our top generals (and now it's possibly two generals).

Now really.  My president has his plate so full with national security matters as well as matters concerning issues internal to our country - and I would rather have him pay attention to those matters than monitoring the private habits of members of the military or other Federal employees.  In fact, what president EVER has spent time monitoring the private habits of his cabinet members, Congress, military, or others.  THEY ARE FAR TOO BUSY - WHETHER THE PRESIDENT IS A REPUBLICAN OR A DEMOCRAT.  In my opinion, this "talking head" reached an all time low.

Every day I think that I'll stop talking about the election fallout, and then something stupid happens, and here I go again......  I am not painting all Republicans with a broad brush of criticism; all my good friends are Republicans and they respect my viewpoint and I respect theirs, and our differences do not get in the way of our friendship.  Even my husband is a Republican!

No comments:

Post a Comment